Sunday, May 04, 2008

Row, row, row your boat

I'm not really very good at updating. I would like to say that it's because nothing has been happening, which is mostly true, but it's more likely that I'm just really really lazy. I think of things that I want to write about ALL the time. It's just that the motivation required to actually write any of it is scarce. If my head had a USB port, you'd have almost daily updates.

My father in law took all his daughters (and me- daughter in law) as well as my mother in law and one of her sisters to see Celtic Woman. The opening act was The High Kings, and they were pretty awesome. I also really liked the main event, but I'd have to say The High Kings had more of what I expected, considering I had never heard anything from either of them before.

Also, I just spent Friday night and practically all of Saturday reading The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer. I'd been hearing a lot about the series from oh, I don't know, EVERYONE. My mom even called me to beg me to read them, so she could talk to me about them. I happened to be in the parking lot of the place I was getting my haircut, so I had to cut the pleading short a little. Then my hairdresser couldn't stop talking about it! It's an epidemic, people! Anyway, through my mom's gracious assistance, I did obtain these books (which are on a three month waiting list at my library, I'll have you know).

Now, I know I have a problem with really good books. When I start reading one, I physically can not put it down. I pretty much try to ignore as many of my bodily functions as possible until it is finished. If I have the next book, I allow myself a second to eat, brush my teeth, shower, you know, whatever I've neglected to do for myself in the past several hours, but then I immediately start the next book. I know this about myself. It's a definite pattern. So even though I got the books on Thursday, I didn't start reading them until Friday night after I had done everything I needed to do for the evening. And then I read and read and read. Poor Chris. I mean, I really ignore everything (and consequently everyone) while I'm reading. I only had four hours of sleep between the the first and second books because my brain told me to wake up and start reading the next book at 8 am on a Saturday! What is wrong with me? Anyway, it's over now, and I'm jonesing. I should never start reading a series of books before they're finished. I've already pre-ordered the next book, but I have to wait three months! My obsession demands it now.

It all started with Piers Anthony novels when I was 11 or 12. The summer before my sixth grade year I spent many many many sleepless nights and days reading the Xanth series. There something like 15 or 20 books already in that series, so it felt like an unlimited supply which I kept eating and eating and eating. I remember reading the last book (at the time; there are many more by now) in between classes the first couple of days at school. Any interruption by my new classmates who really just wanted to be friends caused me extreme irritation. It's an addiction, I'm telling you. But I blame my mom. I totally get it from her.

As far as baby updates, I don't really have any. My first trimester symptoms are all but gone now, so I'm officially considering myself to be in the second trimester. 13 weeks, 14 weeks, you know, whatever, I'm totally there. Yay! Go baby! It's just kind of weird because now I don't really feel pregnant anymore. So now it seems less real. Even my extreme bloat is receding enough that I don't look pregnant. I have barely a paunch that isn't even noticeable really unless you know to look for it. So, I'm looking forward to this baby growing and making him or herself known. I have an appointment next week, and holy crap, my June appointment is my anatomical scan (read: gender ultrasound)! Initially, I wanted to find out the baby's gender, and later I changed my mind. Then when a friend of mine found out she's having a girl, I really really wanted to know what brand of baby we're having. I kind of feel bad because my husband doesn't want to know and I do (which means we're finding out), but with any luck hopefully we'll have another baby or two in the sometime future. Maybe those babies will be surprises (or maybe only one will be, whatever). It feels like it's all happening so fast, but at the same time, it isn't fast enough. Sure I won't be able to read any books the way I do now ever again, but hey, that's a small sacrifice for our little one.

1 comment:

  1. Me and Adam went to see Celtic Women- He has their CD, and he always watched them on PBS and wanted to see them. It was great, mainly because it was with him, but I love the fiddle player!

    ReplyDelete